Non-Functional Testing is the testing where we test the system on the nonfunctional characteristic. Software Requirement should mention the nonfunctional characteristic as well. But in the real world you may face such situation where nothing is formally mentioned in requirement about the nonfunctional characteristic. So your experience will help you out to test the system on the nonfunctional characteristic.
Most of the time Software Requirement document meanly mentions WHAT should product do to fulfill the need of the user, which is functional requirement and testing system against this is called functional testing. But Non-Functional requirement mention HOW WELL the system perform in the real world. It has been observed that user experience hampered most of the time because of failure op system against non-functional characteristic. Non-Functional requirement document should specify all the quality parameters which are missed or not mentioned in a Functional requirement.
Types of NonFunctional Testing
- Usability Testing
- Performance Testing
- Load Testing
- Stress Testing
- Security Testing
- Configuration Testing
- Compatibility Testing
- Recovery Testing
- Volume Testing
- Internationalization Testing
Advantages of NonFunctional Testing
- Part of the system can be tested functional while doing nonfunctional testing.
- Level of security increases many folds
- Helps to increase the performance
- Make sure that system is readily expected number of users
- Help to improve user experience
Disadvantages on NonFunctional Testing
- Each time system modified or upgraded nonfunctional testing need to perform.
- It may require various tools and may find this type of testing expensive.